Thursday, October 29, 2009

Golfing at Glen Iris 29 October 2009


Players today from left:
William, Ray Pua, Henry, Herbie, Charles and Frank, (Ricky was late as usual)

Alas, my dreams of breaking 80 were not to be. Infact, it was a nightmare day for me. I hit 101 after having 2 balls drop in the water on a par 3. Finally hit an 8 for the par 3. I was doing so well until the call from the office regarding my clients in the immigration detention centre. It was just before I teed off on the par 3.

I think I should make it a point not to take calls on the course. Too distracting. However, what do I do with my clients who need me? I have to train more lawyers so I can play more golf!

I also found that if I just used my 3 wood, I usually get a bogey easily. I guess that should give me an 18 over score. But what the heck, how does one resist the challenge of taking out the driver. All my driver shots sliced today.

I was playing with Herbie in the group. Herbie as you know is the resident pro at Whaleback Golf course. He was encouraging but there was nothing he could do for me at the course.

Ray Pua was playing well today at 90 and I lost money to him. Herbie played to 75 but William did not have a good day. He was also taking too many phone calls.

I do not know about the other group of players.

Anyway, at the end of the game , the group decided we all need to attend a golf clinic held by Herbie just for us. Will have to organise that for the following week.

What a game. It keeps drawing you back. Just when you think you have learnt the game, you crack up again and learn how fallible you are.

Never mind, till next week here are some quotes to chew on.

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game. It is called an eraser.
    ~ Arnold Palmer

The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't see him laughing.
    ~ Phyllis Diller





Golf is played by twenty million mature American men whose wives think they are out having fun.
    ~ Jim Bishop

I tried real hard to play golf, and I was so bad at it they would have to check me for ticks at the end of the round because I'd spent about half the day in the woods.
    ~ Jeff Foxworthy

The woods are full of long drivers.
    ~ Harvey Penick

When the ducks are walking, you know it is too windy to be playing golf.
    ~ Dave Stockton

If you really want to get better at golf, go back and take it up at a much earlier age.
    ~ Thomas Mulligan

Someone once told me that there is more to life than golf. I think it was my ex-wife.
    ~ Bruce Lansky

Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.
    ~ Sam Snead



No comments:

Post a Comment